Saturday, March 17, 2012

It would be a crime not to like this song.

This morning I had a fantastic breakfast at Latitude on Main Street. The coffee was hot and the cream was fresh. This is a pretty big deal considering the same was not true for my brunch yesterday. As I caught up with a friend of mine, I couldn't help but hum hum hum hum the tune of a song I heard the night before. For the next few hours it became my obsession. Strange how that happens. One minute you're going about your business - buying eggs or a jar of pickles and the next thing you know you are consumed by a song so powerful that all you really want to do is go home, put on some Roots sweatpants and hit repeat.

It all began last night at a karaoke bar in the West End; there really is no better way to spend a Friday night. At one point in the evening a young man with glasses and a navy blue t-shirt started singing a tune that I wasn't at all familiar with. I was sitting quite far away and was engaged in my own conversation. All of a sudden I heard this amazing verse and flute combination from the corner of the bar. Even my friend was mesmerized by this strange, yet powerful melody. Many will argue with me on this one, however I must admit that it is next to impossible for me to dislike Britney Spears' smash hit "criminal." Like all Britney Spears songs, the bridge is incredibly weak but in this song the verse and chorus make up for it.

Britney starts off with an understated verse that really sets the tone of the song; the flute playing in the background really ties it all together and the chorus prooves to be flawless. Don't get caught up with the lyrics as it is not this song's strength or priority. If you want to get down and dirty with some poetic verses, you're best to stick with Joan Baez or Cat Stevens. But if you're looking for some sort of unconventional adventure, play "criminal" on repeat and see where the evening takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment