Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pacific Blue. I Love You.

I was recently asked numerous questions about navy blazers and the ubiquitous khaki. It has come to my attention that navy blazers are actually quite an appropriate touch to the khaki ensemble.

Navy blue and khaki are quite possibly the best colour combination ever. Looking for something casual to wear to that exclusive country club? This is your time to shine. My first compliment came from my sister in 1996. Back in the 90s baggy was in. As were khakis. As long as they were oversized and a shredded hem didn't hurt either. At the time, I was sporting a navy blue Benetton t-shirt complemented with a light khaki pant. "That outfit looks fantastic!" she said. Those four words stuck with me for years. As far as I was concerned, this was the only fantastic outfit I had in stock. It was no surprise then that two other friends ended up wearing an almost identical ensemble. The three of us shared a beach towel near a lake. Jokes were made. Laughs were had. "What team are you guys on?" I secretly cherished every moment; friends wearing khakis and navy blue t-shirts. It really couldn't have gotten any better than that.

And so here we are 15 years later. Except we've replaced the t-shirt with a perfectly fitted navy blazer. Perhaps it's a consequence of becoming older. I don't think we could have pulled off a blazer at that age but I am tickled by the idea. I've deliberated on the blazer for quite some time. Friends have forwarded articles with fancy pictures and diagrams. My conclusion is this: there are only a few articles of clothing that can make the khaki look even more exceptional than it already is. Cardigans are one. And so is the blazer. Try it out next time. You won't be able to live without it. And while you're sitting there in your most perfect outfit, why not listen to some "Sea Captain" by the Pawnshop Diamond. It would be most appropriate.

My love for this song began in 2009. I was attending one of many Pawnshop Diamond concerts at the Railway Club. As the percussion chimed in and the first verse opened up I couldn't help but lean over and whisper to the man sitting next to me "best song I've heard all year." The crowd agreed and we "cheered in a toast" to nothing but good times ahead. The song speaks volumes. It's got it all: a personal touch, history, and yes- even local references to British Columbia. It's a very visual song and you can easily jump on that ship and get away from it all.

So take a listen and grab a pair of khakis. And why not add a navy blue blazer. It would really tie it all together. Then join me on the Estevan for some afternoon English tea and cucumber sandwiches. Now, doesn't that sound like heaven?

3 comments:

  1. Just brilliant. I look forward to a summer evening with refreshing drinks and blazers all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shredded hems definitely don't hurt. Especially in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you made another post....it was FANTASTIC

    ReplyDelete