Saturday, January 1, 2011

It really is the perfect cup!

Well, 2010 came and went. It was a good year by all accounts. I am yet to meet someone who thought otherwise. One song that really ties the year together is an oldie but a goodie (aren't they all?). Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. It's got a great melody and really jives well with a beautiful crisp winter day.

A few weeks ago, I had this song stuck in my head. I could not wait to go home, listen to it, and sing along with Elton. But before I did, I tagged along with some friends to Granville Island. I was a little hesitant at first but soon realized it was a great decision. Let's find out why.

We took the aquabus from Hornby Street to Granville Island. It took approximately two minutes. A friend of mine had the trip all figured out. I love that. A plan. There was no milling about. We bolted through the market with a mission. Our destination: Granville Island Tea Company. The three of us ordered chai lattes right away. I watched in awe as our tea master blended this perfectly steeped chai. I grilled her about everything. "What's the deal with this particular latte?" First things first, she steeped a tea bag one cup at a time in boiling hot water. Next, she poured this perfectly brewed cup into a blender, which included a combination of spices and butter. That's right: butter. The tea master couldn't wait 'till I took my first sip. It really was the best chai I ever had. It was creamy. Very creamy.

My first time drinking a chai latte was in Cook Street Village Starbucks in the Fall of 1999. The millenium was just around the corner and I fell in love... with the latte. I loved that all one needed to do was order it and walk out. There was no need to add sugar or cream. It was great on its own. I know what some of you are thinking: Really, Starbucks? The Starbucks chai latte is a simple drink. There are no frills. It's not too strong- it's actually slightly bland. But it's predictable. And I kind of like that. And of course, for those of you who have spent any time in Victoria's Cook Street Village- you know it's just the perfect place to have a cup.

During this time, money was tight and a regular chai latte was priced at about $3.00. I would seldom go on my own for a chai and was usually there with a friend to touch base. It was then that the "splitting of the chai" was born. There is quite a procedure that goes along with it. You order a large chai, which back then had a cost of $3.96. Done. Next, you request a second cup from the barista. Once the drink is ready you pour half into the cup and give it to your friend. It's about half an inch less than a regular cup (but with a savings of $1.00 each who could argue with that!). Next, you both sit outside and talk about what a great deal it was.

The truth of the matter is, splitting a chai was much more about the experience than literally saving a buck. We would order it extra hot- no water and split it that way. Once, I even ordered the latte with half and half- wow that was a mouthful. The possibilities really are endless.

These days I don't usually order a chai latte other than for nostalgic purposes. But when I heard about a place that makes the best chai latte in town- I had to try it. And am I ever glad I did. I invite all of you to take a trip to Granville Island and order a cup (by the way, the cost is a measly $2.08).

There is no better way to start the new year than with a perfect chai latte. I am heading down tomorrow morning at 10:00. And I'm going to drink it: one sip at a time. 2011 never looked so good, and thanks to one of my favourite Elton John songs, I think I've finally figured out where my future lies!

No comments:

Post a Comment