Wednesday, September 8, 2010

... and I liked it.

The year was 2008. The month was May. And Katy Perry just released her smash hit "I Kissed a Girl." How is this song still so hot?

I remember when this song came out. The most memorable line being "... the taste of her cherry chapstick." It reminds me of a trip I took to Winnipeg four years ago. My roommate dropped me off at the airport a little late and thus, I was literally running for the final boarding call. Everyone gave me the worst look as I stumbled on to the plane.

There was a bleach blond woman that sat across the isle from me and one row ahead. From a distance of seven feet she looked like she had a pretty smile. All standards are out the window anyway when it comes to flying so it didn't really matter. I was interested. At least I thought I was. A couple hours into the flight I got up to use the washroom. As I passed her section she tugged on my vest and stated the rhetorical question "how about you sit next to me?" The seat between her and the window was empty and I glady accepted, and why the hell not?

Regrettably, I sat down and was hoping for some good old fashioned conversation. It became apparent that she was quite intoxicated and decided to kiss me (not in a good way) prefusely whether I liked it or not and insisted we engage in a full on public make-out session. And here I was, poor innocent Cam: "Ummmm why don't we get to know each other first? What's your favourite colour? I like blue." I will never forget two things: 1) the man who actually had the window seat. He was so awkward it was almost comical and 2) the taste of her strawberry chapstick. Thank goodness, for the sake of this song it was not cherry. So you can see my interest in this verse. The end of the story is a little less dramatic. I eventually returned to my seat and hid behind large pillars at baggage claim until someone picked her up.

I guess the only real difference between Katy Perry and myself is she actually liked it (the kiss and the cherry chapstick). The song and video are quite catchy. It's too bad her newer song "California Girls" kind of sucks. I haven't given up on Katy quite yet. I was just told about another hit she has, "Teenage Dream." It's actually kind of catchy (of course it pales in comparison to "I Kissed a Girl"). The video is quite the site. Take a look, but maybe not at work. So what does it all come down to? Katy needs to take a minute to sit and reflect. Let's see what else she's got. She needs to take the passion and make it happen, just like Irene Cara did so many years ago.




3 comments:

  1. am very pleased with this post. good work cam. i think its all coming together. irene cara and katy perry in the same post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am shocked that you are into PDA's 9(public displays of affection). From what I glean about you through your posts you seem rather restrained, soo the opposite of PDA. I am not sure how you lived down the embarrassment of the other passengers on the plane. Kudos to you for living life to its fullest and squeezing every once of juice out of it. This is what it is all about?

    Muffins anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the risk you taking wearing Pure Sport in public.

    ReplyDelete