Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Another day another dollar.

My roommate likes hiphop. It took me exactly two years to "come around." One evening while cooking some relatively bland chicken he asked if I would put on some music. At this time in my life I had exhausted my CD collection and wouldn't own an ipod for another four years. The idea of playing Radiohead the Bends one more time was enough to make any decent man shaky in the knees. Please note: the Bends is a brilliant album- and track 12 "Street Spirit" will always have a place in my heart- but you get the idea. So the roommate pipes up and throws on some of his "hiphop." I was pleased and admitted to him after dinner that I was mildly impressed with his choice of music.

My interest in the various genres of music can be traced back to Spring '98 with Britney Spears' smash hit "Baby One More Time." At first I hated it. And then I couldn't get enough. At the time I was living on a 30 mile long atoll in Micronesia. I had just spent an hour snorkeling (trunks optional) off the reef and was still salty from the sea. Perhaps it was the baby pink cover that first drew me in. Or maybe it was the sweet Louisiana voice that did it for me. Either way I was hooked and listened to the song three times on repeat with oversized headphones. It was a life changing moment. On my return to Canada in June I noticed everyone seemed to know who this girl(not quite a woman) was. I instantly let it be known that I was a fan. I recall submitting a write-up to our highschool newsletter. The entire submission was written in pop song verses by the likes of Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Page, and of course Miss Britney Spears.

My interest in pop music still exists today and there are so many great ones out there. I would like to touch on at least one before I head out. Her name is Ke$ha and yes- you do know her. Desite being a bit of a gongshow she released a song last year with a pretty sweet bridge. For those unfamiliar with "Tik Tok" you are in for a real treat. To put it simply: this song is quite possibly the most annoying song ever, yet at the same time it leaves you wanting more. My first experience with this train wreck was in late summer 09. At first I was in shock. But then I became curious: Who is this ke$ha? And why is she on TV? And why am I watching it? I admit I wanted nothing to do with her for the first few days. But persistence pays off in the end and I can honestly say she may not have had me at hello but she now has me with that slightly awkward first verse. Take a listen- you'll be glad you did.

7 comments:

  1. I have no idea what your talking about but I want to read more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a metal head personally, but I gotta say, the new mylie cyrus and Kesha CD's I did end up downloadin, and they're not too bad! Might even download Christina's new one o_0 You write amazingly Cam! Keep the posts a comin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, Ke$ha.

    Have you checked out Robyn's (yes, that Robyn from the 90's who was almost a one hit wonder) new stuff?

    She's releasing 3 albums this year--Body Talk Pt. 1, 2, and 3.

    Check out "Dancing On My Own", "Hang With Me", "With Every Heartbeat", and "Dream On" for an idea of some of the better examples of guilt-free pop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember Robyn! Show me love- a huge hit of that lovely decade we call the 1990s. I must say, I didn't realize she was Swedish. It's quite impressive that she is releasing three albums in one year.

    The songs mentioned have a certain European flair and that's not a bad thing. It certainly is a departure from her previous one hit. And I'm O.K. with that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. Ke$ha is like, a really wobbly, slutty, uncoordinated version of Hilary Duff mixed with Britney Spears. Or something. She's hippy, candy floss, tacky...you can just tell that she's a complete flake in real life. I bet she triple books her day and then falls asleep on the couch watching Jersey Shore. I feel dirty and sweaty after watching "Your Love is My Drug." Can you imagine the state she would be in waking up in the scorching sun in the middle of the desert? Not to mention the unkempt hair ball that she spent the night with? Sick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. who's this mysterious roommate??

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha yes indeed! I bet she does triple book herself! The fact that she may be an uncoordinated version of Duff and Spears is dead-on. These two gems happen to be two of my favourite pop stars... so it's no wonder ke$ha has taken me out and showed me a good time.

    Of course, I would be lying if I told you "tik tok" or "your love is my drug" comes close to Hilary's "come clean" or Britney's "oops... I did it again." But then again, those songs are in a whole other category in themselves... but there is the bridge. And I can honestly say ke$ha really did out-do herself in that department.

    And to Bronwyn: You'll know him by his oddly discreet fashion sense. In other words, he's the man with the yellow hat.

    ReplyDelete